DEPARTMENT OF PENNSYLVANIA
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS
4002 FENTON AVENUE
HARRISBURG, PA 17109
Secretary under supervision of the Department Adjutant
Individual must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Responsible for Commander and Adjutant’s correspondence as well as VFW program support as determined by the Adjutant. Possess outstanding organizational skills and work independently, effectively, and a part of a team in a challenging and fast paced work environment. Person must conduct multiple projects simultaneously and maintain knowledge for all Veterans of Foreign Wars programs. Encouraged to be an active participant in programs involving communities, Military Troops, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Strong typing/computer skills are necessary to interact daily with multiple audiences in a professional manner. Respond to inquiries by voice and e-mail.
– Maintain computer filing system that is user friendly and networked to all stations.
– Ensure all tasks directed by the Adjutant are processed quickly, accurately and keep file area current to reflect recent work.
– Maintain an efficient flow of correspondence by reviewing, planning, and prioritizing work on a daily basis.
– Perform duties such as maintaining filing system, photo copying and collating messenger services, mailing system, and other office duties as assigned by the Adjutant.
– Limited travel to some Veterans of Foreign Wars functions as required to assist the Commander and Adjutant and to support other staff—with the Mid-Winter Conference and State Convention among the events requiring travel.
– Ability to assist the Adjutant with planning meetings, conventions, multifaceted projects, and special sessions.
– Ability to use Microsoft Word or other program to design certificates used to honor participation in VFW Programs.
– The above duties are general in nature and are not intended to reflect all duties which may be required of the employee.
1) Computer skills
Demonstrated proficiency in:
– Power Point
– Veterans of Foreign Wars Member Information System (database)
– Internet Resources
2) Clerical Skills
– Efficient and accurate typing
– Ability to write concise, grammatically correct and easy to
– Calculating and compiling data, manually and by computer programs
– Transcribe minutes/notes from digital files and audio tapes
– Ability to work well with and communicate with program/committee chairpersons, Department officers and staff, and external audiences
– Excellent clerical qualifications by knowledge and experience
– Reliability and flexibility
– Ability to work while maintaining strict confidentiality
– Ability to work well with Military Units and Military Family Groups
– All other duties as assigned
WORK WEEK: Work week up to 35 hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (1/2 hour lunch)
SALARY: To be negotiated during the interview process. An increase may be offered after 90 days, provided the work performed and other job measures are satisfactory.
Send your cover letter, resume, business writing samples and contact information to State Adjutant at [email protected] or mail it to PA VFW State HQ, 4002 Fenton Ave., Harrisburg PA 17109-5943. If you have questions about this position, please call (717) 234-7927 and ask for the State Adjutant.
Responses should be received by Nov. 1, but late submissions will be considered if the position has not been filled.